4-21-06: Moving to a configure/make/make dist setup.
5-25-06: Quite a few changes.
Fixed a Solaris seg-fault when debug level was 3 or higher.
Now a sys-auth.conf in the users homedir takes precedence.
The plug-in will read its logging level every minute for changes.
5-30-06: Not sure where I lost the changes at, but put back in some fixes.
When accessed in client auth mode from an AD machine, the username
included @<short domain> which wasn't recognized by the system. Fixed.
When accessed cross-instance (not sure how, somehow tables are linked),
certain things are bypassed, and a get groups happens on the upper
cased name, which would fail. Explicitly lower that name.
5-30-06: Made all internal functions name-safe. Seen where if the authentication
through db2sysc, there is possible a name collision against an internal
DB2 function checkUser, that doesn't return what the plugin is expecting,
making users appear to have failed when they shouldn't.
06-05-06: Moving to a versioning of the library, tracked in the syslog output.
Now changelog will work off the version.
* Remove the func_start() from PluginTerminate, as the instance is not always valid
* Log the version number.
* More debugging around the check_user function.
* Move the check_user function inside the CheckPassword Function.
* Name-safe ALL functions, even those derived from the example code this came from so long ago.
* Now on AIX a combination of getgrset and getgrent is returned for group memberships. This
allows a combination of VAS and local groups to be used for VAS users.
* Add more testing, this time for Groups. Modify test.conf with a group the user is a member of,
and a group he is not a member of.
* Added test for the sys-auth executable before running, fixes pipe errors during the tests in
an incomplete enviroment.
* Better handling of authentication when DB2INSTANCE is not set, as during testing.
* Add an explicit getuserattr from VAS for user information, this allows users who stradle both VAS
and another system, like LDAP, to get complete group info. AIX only.
* Added a check for the group name so only unique ones are returned. This will add a little overhead to
authentications, should not be noticable unless a user is in multiple systems and has many group
overlaps, at which point it might add a few seconds to just the auth, as DB2 will store the group
membership info for the duration of the connection. AIX only.
* Add a memory check to some function calls.
* Only lower the username during the check_password function if the original name wasn't found.
* Remove the use of the DB2DEFAULTUSER env variable. This was a carry-over from the base code
sample used, only UID should be considered for determining who the user is. If the user
is to be different from the current user, then change the processes effective UID.
* Use the effective UID when in the db2secGetDefaultLoginContext function instead of the
normal UID ( geteuid() vs. getuid() ).
* Thanks to IBM support, re-wrote the get?uid() to trigger off the useridType field.
* Revert old behavior of assuming ENOENT for errno == 0 when getpwnam fails.
This is likely from pthreads putting errno in a differnt namespace, so the
errno the plugin reads isn't the one set, making it return UNKNOWNERROR
instead of BADUSER. The UNKNOWNERROR makes quite a few things complain.
* Added an upgrade.sh script that can be run by the instance owner
to replace the libraries.
* Added the function char *vas_db2_plugin_get_version() to the
sys-auth library, modified it to build with the version number,
install/upgrade now use it, and added tests for the version.
* Changed the memory test size to 11K, to put it at an odd allocation
to differentiate it from other allocs.
* Some fixes for minor issues found in code review.
* Added a Troubleshooting document.
* Added some specific debugging for a Stored Procedure issue.
* Refactor groups_for_user function to need no additional getpwnam calls,
instead storing the users pgid from the user_check to test group
* Found the cause of the issue mentioned in 1.0.7. The SP had a grant
on a non-existent user, and the code was returning the wrong error
code. Due to losing errno between functions, returned UNKNOWN_ERROR
instead of BAD_USER. Fixed.
* Add an explicite lower to the check_user function. This fixes
grants on non-VAS users, as they come through upper-cased,
making the getpwnam not match.
* Add 64-bit linux.
* Added s390x Linux ( zSeries OS )
* Fixed s390x Linux. For unknown reason gcc wasn't setting __64BIT__ macro,
so some structure member sizes were off, leading to DB2 rejecting the plugin.
1.0.13 ( 1-23-07 ):
* Added HP Itanium builds. Seperated into HPUX_9000 and HPUX_IA64 packages.
* Better named the various packages.
* Made sure all OSes get __64BIT__ set if 64-bit, that macro is only guaranteed on AIX
1.0.14 ( 1-24-07 ):
* Final set of coverity fixes, mostly in the test code.
* 100% code complete test_all, and various fringe cases. 42 tests all told.
* Added case insensitive group membership search. Fixes issue with control/access groups
and VAS users whos names are uppercased.
* Moved to sym links for the libraris. This makes telling what version is
installed much easier.
188.8.131.52 ( 2007_04_06 ):
* Added support for DAS users. Thanks to help from IBM in figuring this out.
* Made the versioning 4-digit.
* Fixed a non-portable usage of grep in the install script.
* Increment to 1.1 due to DAS support.
184.108.40.206 ( 2007_05_02 ):
* Use a thread-safe errno.
* Never return UNKNOWNERROR for user/group work.
220.127.116.11 - 18.104.22.168 ( 2007_06_03 )
* Support password changing.
* Handle local lamAuth file when doing tests if the pamAuth wasn't found.
* Various fixes for an issue running db2cc on AIX, still an open issue.
( After some time the process starts getting error 3 back from getpwnam/
getpwuid calls that previously worked ( same info ). )
* Main fix: If a given uid/name is not found, running setauthdb( NULL, NULL )
and try again.
22.214.171.124 ( 2007_06_22 )
* Now explicitly lowercase group names, this fixes running a grant without
specifying user or group.
126.96.36.199 ( 2007_06_24 )
* Correct the return code from the DoesAuthIDExist function.
188.8.131.52 ( 2007_07_13 )
* Add group resolution when the user is in an LDAP LAM module.
184.108.40.206 ( 2008_03_04 )
* Change the auth method to match the bit-ness of the OS. No more
pamAuth32/pamAuth64 except as an intermedeary step.
* Work on password change code, setuid stuff needs to be right
to trigger a proper change instead of set, but still have
permission to change afterwords.
* Initial work to fix bug 460, detect if a user has an expired password.
* More tests around changing password ( now that it works ).
220.127.116.11 ( 2008_03_07 )
* Change password code looks solid on Linux Pam, tests in place.
* Fixed an issue where when password was expired, using LAM it was re-set to
the same old password.
18.104.22.168 ( 2008_03_08 )
* Hopefully done. Lots of focus on PAM interaction, expired password and such.
* Passwords are not as easy on AIX 5.1, removing that OS for now. If needed
please let me know through Quest Support or the RC forums.
* The authenticating service name has changed to sys-auth, since the auth method
now matches the OS. Meanign on 64-bit Linux, its automatically 64-bit, most
everywhere else is 32-bit. So any sys-auth32/sys-auth64 pam entries need to
be changed to sys-auth.
22.214.171.124 ( 2008_04_25 )
* Clean up the LAM code for passwords, works now for local and VAS users.
* Include the AIX 5.1 machine again in the packaging.
126.96.36.199 ( 2008_04_28 )
* On AIX ( LAM ), deny users who are locked out. ( apparently authenticate()
just tells you the password is good, and is unrelated to the account actually
being allowed to log into the system, so using loginrestrictions() as well ).
188.8.131.52 ( 2008_07_28 )
* Change the configure slightly for the new HP IA64 machine setup to the 64-bit
library is built.
184.108.40.206 ( 2008_08_06 )
* Modify the root detection and base shell used in the install script.
220.127.116.11 ( 2008_08_07 )
* Modify the install_das script for the new non-bitness auth helper.
18.104.22.168 ( 2008_08_15 )
* Modified the dist package to include properly named PAM files. (without bit)
* Fixed a bad bug where if there was not authenticaiton file it returned
22.214.171.124 ( 2008_10_12 )
* New binary, sys-nss. sys-auth now forks and calls it for any NSS related query
so any issues ( memory, loaded libraries, setauth, etc ) with the DB2 agent
process doesn't interfere with the ability of the plugin to query for NSS
126.96.36.199 ( 2008_10_21 )
* Auth/ChPw should now handle upper cased names.
188.8.131.52 ( 2008_11_16 )
* Better handling of when the user's group memberships exceed the DB2 buffer
limit. ( Could segfault previous, should properly truncate now ). NOTE: if a
user is member of more groups then fits in the DB2 provided buffer, they could
be missing needed group memberships.
* Removed the upgrade script, it can't handle moving between 2.X and 3.X due to
new binaries, force a re-install each time.
184.108.40.206 ( 2008_12_17 )
* Debug for waitpid failures, trying to track down a heavy use issue where
who_am_i returns failure when it worked, due to waitpid failing.
220.127.116.11 ( 2008_12_17 )
* Ok, something else can reap the out-call children, so handle that.
18.104.22.168 ( 2008_12_19 )
* Install scripts and INSTALL work, should be easier to read/use now.
22.214.171.124 ( 2009_02_18 )
* The AIX LDAP module accepts upper-cased versions of the user's name, but
fails to return their group membership. this leads to failures when access
is granted to group membership, and the group was not the pgid for the user.
126.96.36.199 - 188.8.131.52 ( 2009_02_24 )
* Various debug builds trying to track down an EBADF error. Timing issue with
184.108.40.206 ( 2009_02_26 )
* Fixed fd timing issue.
* Removed signal handlers as per IBM recommendation.
* Fixed an issue seen in testing on sles9ppc where with many group memberships,
( right at the DB2 line length limit ) processing them could trigger a
* Added back a message at level 2 that lists a user's group memberships.
220.127.116.11 ( 2009_03_05 )
* install_das.sh didn't work, fixed.
* fixed install.sh and install_das to work on Solaris with its more restrictive
sh. ( echo ~<username> doesn't return the user's homedir in sh on Solaris ).
18.104.22.168 ( 2009_03_09 )
* Added a check so this doesn't install on v9.1 or v8.2 since they don't
actually handle not having a signal handler like v9.5 requires.
22.214.171.124 ( 2009_03_25 )
* Fixed the MAJOR issue where when run under v9.5 any password worked.
126.96.36.199 ( 2009_03_26
* While changing password, the plugin could log a message about a failed close
action. This has been fixed.
* Use instance owner, not db2inst1 when checking DB2 level.
188.8.131.52 ( 2009_04_02 )
* When kicking off out-calls, close any open file handles.
184.108.40.206 ( 2009_04_12 )
* Use getgrouplist on Linux, allows compatability when winbind is set to not
participate in getgrent iterations.
220.127.116.11 ( 2009_05_01 )
* Removed some sleep statements from previous debugging.
* For Linux, only do the getgrouplist. ( no getgrent )
18.104.22.168 ( 2009_05_01 )
* Added a slight sleep ( usleep of 10ms ) for my sanity.
22.214.171.124 ( 2009_05_01 )
* Bug with getgroupslist when user only had pgid group. Fixed.
126.96.36.199 ( 2009_05_05 )
* Use syscall for read, on Linux x86_64 it seems after time to use the pthread
read() instead of the libc read(), and then hangs.
188.8.131.52 ( 2009_05_06 )
* Remove the read change from previous build, it was unneeded.
* Re-work out-calls so only async-signal-safe functions are called between
the fork and execl() of an out-call.
* Re-do the logging system. Seems to be the root of the latest issue. Now, if
debug-level is set to 2 or higher, then all debug goes to /tmp/sys-auth.debug
Otherwise no information is logged to that file. Syslog is no longer used.
184.108.40.206 ( 2009_05_06 )
* Missed one message, in the outcall_check_user code. Removed.